Dakota Resource Council
Join Our Team
Job Opening: Fort Berthold Field Organizer
Dakota Resource Council, North Dakota’s only homegrown, statewide, multi-issue grassroots organization is looking for a full-time field organizer working with DRC members on the Fort Berthold Reservation. The primary responsibility of the position will be working with members of DRC affiliate Fort Berthold POWER to advance their campaigns and grow their membership. Initial issue responsibilities will include campaigns aimed at mitigating the impacts of oil and gas development, and promoting the development of renewable energy.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Fort Berthold Field Organizer is responsible for:
- Leading the organizing and campaign efforts of DRC affiliate, Fort Berthold POWER.
- Empowering individuals to speak for themselves by identifying and developing a diverse group of members who agree to serve as the organization’s public voice on a variety of issues.
- Formulating sound organizing strategies by analyzing the social and economic forces, power relationships, and political agendas that shape Fort Berthold.
- Identifying, recruiting, and developing leaders and conducting one-on-ones on a regular basis to grow DRC’s and Fort Berthold POWER’s base.
- Working with people to define problems and issues, and helping them think through the strategies and tactics necessary to act with confidence and win.
- Recruiting new members to strengthen and expand the membership base and making fundraising an integral part of their everyday organizing work.
- Enabling members to make good decisions by sharing information and raising questions, options and alternatives.
- Enabling members and leaders to hold good, productive meetings.
- Ensuring that members receive a consistently high standard of appropriate and effective training, development, and support.
- Striving to reflect on and improve skills on an ongoing basis and developing an annual self-development plan.
- Performing the administrative tasks necessary to accomplish their job.
The community organizer’s specific work assignments will include the following:
- Working as the lead organizer for Fort Berthold POWER.
- Coordinating and leading fundraising activities
- Organizing events, leadership training, or workshops to benefit Fort Berthold POWER.
- Producing or assisting with communications through traditional or social media
- Researching policy and writing formal comments
- Producing content for the Dakota Resource Council newsletter related to Fort Berthold POWER and its campaigns.
- Other activities and assignments as needed
- Commitment to the mission and goals of the organization and the community organizing approach to social change.
- Leadership and organizational development capabilities
- Fundraising ability
- Familiarity with the public policy process and ability to do some policy research
- Experience in issue campaigns, political campaigns, and/or community organizing activities
- Comfortable with farmers, ranchers, rural people, and people from a diversity of backgrounds and cultures; knowledgeable about one or more of these issues: oil and gas, renewable energy.
- Excellent communication and people skills; ability to write well is a must; web and social media expertise is a plus
- High level of maturity
- Capacity to work independently as a salaried employee on a flexible schedule that includes some evenings and weekends
- Willing to travel both in- and out-of-state as necessary, using a DRC vehicle when possible, but able to use own vehicle (with mileage compensation) when necessary.
Salary based on experience. Generous benefits.
How To Apply
Send a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and three references to:
Dakota Resource Council, 1720 Burnt Boat Drive Suite 104 Bismarck, ND 58503
or email Scott@drcinfo.com
DRC is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, ethnic background, sexual orientation, or physical disability.